Monday, August 06, 2007

Macon Elections Page Two

In Macon, early voting is underway for three City Council seats that were not decided in the primary election. As is the case in most runoffs, I expect these seats, one of which is a citywide post, to be elected by a tiny fraction of the possible voters. I know it's really hot, but if you live in the City of Macon, I hope you will get out and vote this week.

In one of the races, both candidates, Gerald Harvey and Virgil Watkins, have had brushes with the law in the past. The other races are between Tom Ellington and Marshall Burkett, and between Miriam Paris and Willette Hill-Chambliss.

I will not begin to predict the outcome of these races, but in the Ellington-Burkett race, I have endorsed Ellington and have contributed to his campaign. I don't know him well, but it is clear to me that he is a bright guy. He is a professor at Wesleyan College, and teaches political science. I think that he has a lot to offer to the the new City Council in Macon.

In the Paris-Chambliss race, the outcome is tough to predict. Hill-Chamblis has the endorsement of labor, and they may be about the only folks doing any GOTV for the runoff. That should help her. No matter what happens in these races, I think that the City has fared well in these elections. Much has been made of the what happened in Macon and why it happened. Whatever it was, we have an opportunity to turn the corner, but around that corner are significant challenges that will require all of us to step up.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: