Friday, July 14, 2006

Should the DPG Censure Hecht?

It's an interesting thought, though not an original one for me. I got an e-mail tonight from a friend here in Macon who said that she had gotten his second mailer today, even after she was so disgusted with the first one that she notified the campaign to take her off the mailing list, and that she thought that the DPG should censure Hecht. I told her that I knew of no provision in the bylaws that would allow for such action. I do understand the variety of reasons why this is not something the Party could or should do, but you have to admit, it's a novel thought.

I actually think that Greg has censured himself. We'll see how the primary turns out, but I predict that these mail pieces were a gigantic miscalculation on his part. It's motivated voters who go to the polls in 100 degree heat, and motivated voters are often educated voters and less likely to buy into this rouse. My husband, an attorney, is particularly disgusted with the "rape" piece. He walked in the door with it tonight, tossed it on the couch and said that if Greg wins this primary, he will not lift his hand or his checkbook to help him. My son told me that he voted early and had voted for Martin because he didn't like the first mailer. He's twenty and knows that this crosses the line. Another attorney said that he voted early, for Greg, but if there is a run-off that includes Hecht and Martin, his vote will be for Martin.

I'd love to blame the mail firm that put this piece out, but the buck stops with the candidate. Greg's a lawyer, and he should know better than this.

Sphere: Related Content

6 comments:

Button Gwinnett said...

I suppose now we see why on Sunday during their debate, Martin asked Hecht to pledge not to get nasty......

Up until then, I thought that race was being ran very cleanly and with some good discussion of issues. It's very disappointing because I had not made up my mind between those two. And now I know I'm supporting Martin. He's been a great public servant. And I think his style will offer a nice contrast to Ralph Reed in the fall.

Amy Morton said...

Are you joking? Have you bothered to read the context of the "rape" quote? This is an embarrassmentto the Democratic party. I can't believe you are defending this.

MelGX said...

"And that is what they all are facts, footnoted and everything."

Sorry, footnotes do not make facts. They make footnotes. These "footnotes" are nothing more than a cheap graphic device employed by this mailhouse to try and create the appearance of legitimacy where there is none. It's a deceptive sham, and everyone involved with this mailer should be discredited along with Hecht. Those who helped facilitate this slander are nothing more than mercenary whores.

Jen said...

"Jim Martin was the one who chose to be a defense attorney: defending rapests."

Ahh yes, because defending the 5th, 6th and 8th Amendment isn't as sexy as defending the 1st.

Amy Morton said...

Mel, I think I know the mailhouse, but can't confirm yet.

MelGX said...

Amy, I'd like to know as soon as you can confirm. If it's who I think it is, it's even worse.